“If you stick your finger in an electrical socket, you could wind up looking like this guy.Mike Kemp/Rubberball Productions/Getty Images
Many people, parents in particular, really wonder what would happen if someone — possibly their child — were to stick his or her finger in an electrical outlet. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety commission, each year approximately 4,000 people find themselves in the emergency room seeking treatment for injuries caused by accidents involving electrical outlets. About a third to one-half of these patients are children who decided to stick some kind of metal object (like a paper clip or spoon handle) or their finger into the outlet. This number may seem high, but these people are actually the lucky ones. There are hundreds of folks that never make it to the emergency room.
If you stick your finger in an electrical outlet, the current can maim or even kill you. The human body is an excellent conductor for electricity. Electricity is always looking for a quick and simple path to the ground. Because about 70 percent of a human body is made up of water, it’s extremely easy for electricity to course through you in a matter of seconds. At a minimum, electric shock can cause:
- Muscle fatigue or spasms
- Temporary unconsciousness
- Temporary breathing difficulty
Some of the more serious and possibly fatal side effects of electrical shock are:
- Severe burns at point of contact and along the electricity’s course through the body
- Vision loss
- Hearing loss
- Brain damage
- Respiratory arrest or failure
- Cardiac arrest (heart attack)
If someone nearby does stick fingers or some kind of metal object into an outlet and receives an electrical shock, DO NOT touch the person. If you touch him or her, the electricity can move from that person’s body into yours, shocking you both in the process. You should quickly shove the victim away from the outlet using an object that doesn’t conduct electricity. A broom handle or dry towel will work. Once contact has been broken, quickly check the victim’s breathing and pulse, and look for burns. You should seek medical help immediately.
Plastic outlet caps are a simple solution to keeping fingers and dangerous objects out of outlets. But, these aren’t perfect, because kids can remove the caps. Another option — that’s gaining popularity because of its success — is to install tamper-resistant electrical outlets. Many new homes already come equipped with them, and you can upgrade outlets in older homes to the new receptacles.
Originally Published: Mar 24, 2008
Finger In Electric Socket FAQ
What are the after-effects of electric shock?
Some of the after-effects of electric shock include headaches, unconsciousness, respiratory issues and muscle fatigue. More serious effects include burns, hearing loss, brain damage and even death.
Can you get electrocuted by sticking your finger in an outlet?
Our bodies are excellent conductors of electricity so if you stick your finger in an outlet, you will get electrocuted.
Can a plug socket shock kill you?
Every year, over 4000 people seek treatment for shock-related after-effects and injuries. Unfortunately, not everyone is lucky enough to make it to the emergency room, dying from the incident before they get there.
How long do symptoms of electric shock last?
Generally, the symptoms or after-effects of electric shock last according to the severity of the incident and where the electrical current went through. Some shocks have long-lasting effects including pain, weakness, numbness and tingling in parts of the body.
Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How Electricity Works
- How many things can you plug into an electrical outlet before it catches fire?
- How Fire Works
- How Fire Extinguishers Work
- How Emergency Rooms Work
More Great Links
- Baby Electrical Safety
- Reduce Fires with Electrical Safety